Monday, November 17, 2014

Sail Away

A few years ago, I packed up all of my belongings, tenderly kissed my mom and dad good-bye, and set off on my own aboard a magnificent ship. The wind blew me to a beautiful island, where I anchored and came ashore.

"This is just a temporary stop," I said aloud to no one in particular. "But what a wonderful time to explore!"

The first few years were, in fact, full of incredible discoveries and exploration. I hiked through uncharted areas of the island, took chances and learned so much about myself and what it meant to truly live. I met fascinating people along the way and treasured the experiences.

The next few years held some sadness for me as I watched dear friends sail away and leave me behind. They were on to new adventures, new challenges, and were off to find eternal peace and happiness. 

I knew it was their time to leave, but it was painful to watch them go. I didn't quite understand why at the time.

As I sat on the island one cool evening, I started to ponder what I truly wanted in this life; this journey. I took a moment to pray. I felt the salty sea breeze on my skin and was suddenly fully aware of my purpose. That night I knew for myself that what I wanted in this life was beyond the borders of the island I found myself on. I began to yearn for greater, more important things. Following the advice of those wisest among me, I took to distracting myself. 

But what wonderful distractions I found! I was surrounded by the loveliest people I could ever hope to know and found some semblance of purpose and of peace in my every day dealings.

Today the yearning to pull up anchor and sail safely away is more urgent than ever before. I find myself staring in the future, making plans and wondering when my time will come. 

I am so happy and I am so blessed. I am trying my best every single day to become a better disciple of Christ and serve others on this earth. But I would be lying if I said I don't often sit on the beach, staring at the stars in the night sky and dreaming of a
beautiful tomorrow. 


"A ship is safe in harbor. But that's not what ships are for."


Photobucket

No comments: