Friday, May 17, 2013

Every Day in May: Day 17 & 18

How has everyone been? I've had one hell of a week (pardon the language) and I'm just grateful it's Friday. I feel like I've been so busy with everything that I just need a weekend to lay around and unwind but, alas, that will not be happening this particular weekend.

I'm going to start doubling up my May posts since I'll be leaving on a cruise in exactly ONE WEEK! So let's get crackin' :)

Day 17: A favorite photo of yourself and why

red lipstick & white tank tops

I like this photo of me because I feel all artsy and hipster in it and that kind of makes me giggle.

Day 18: Tell a story from your childhood. Dig deep and try to be descriptive about what you remember and how you felt.

I don't have one particular memory to discuss, just various thoughts bouncing around in my head. 

When I was five years old we moved into a small apartment attached to an elementary school in Ahwatukee, Arizona. There were 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a cozy backyard. Since we were moving from a small trailer in Chandler, this was heaven for all three of us. I absolutely loved living at the school. My dad was the janitor and was going to school full-time while my very pregnant mother stayed home with me. Before school started, I had the entire playground and fields all to myself. My mom watched my best friend Erika and we had a blast. We would wait outside in the heat for the sprinklers to come on, throw on our swimsuits and run around the field like maniacs. We spent hours making crafts, visiting the library, playing in my room and watching Disney movies.

Sometimes we had family over for parties in the multi-purpose room. I remember we got out the hockey sticks, a puck and played for hours while my cousin and I cheered everyone on. For my birthday my mom decided on a "Cinderella" theme, complete with a castle cake. We started the party off in our normal play clothes until we heard a knock at the door. A glass jar with invitations for each one of us to come to the ball were tucked inside. We changed into fancy dresses and danced for hours. The clock struck noon and we all conveniently left behind a shoe, to be found in my home later with candy bags inside. My mom was is so creative and sweet .

I do miss living at the school. I miss my Beauty and the Beast themed bedroom. I miss Mary  being a chubby little baby and watching mom wash her off in the sink. I miss going outside to play whenever I wanted and the freedom I felt there. 

Mostly, I miss being five. :)


Photobucket

No comments: