Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Phantom of the Opera

My heart dropped a little when I heard Phantom of the Opera closed in Las Vegas this past weekend. I've been wanting to see that particular show for such a long time, and never even fathomed the possibility of it closing before I had the chance to enjoy it. To make myself feel better, I've decided to dedicate a special little rant to my favorite musical. 

Phantom is pure genius. I have a hard time describing in words how it makes me feel. Andrew Lloyd Weber has been a hero of mine from a very young age, and I consider this the crowning jewel of his colorful career. The marriage of soulful ballads combined with haunting lyrics make it a musical triumph.

While I enjoy the movie, nothing compares to the stage version. I've been fortunate enough to see the show twice at Gammage and was enthralled each time. Many of you know I spend an inordinate amount of time singing wherever I go, and Phantom songs are my go-to. My particular favorite is Music of the Night. It's perfection in every way. It's seductive, piercing, honest and thoughtful. I'd love to share a few of my favorite Phantom lyrics here.  

Phantom: Wandering child, so lost, so helpless, yearning for my guidance
Christine: Angel or father? Friend or phantom? Who is it there staring?
Phantom: Have you forgotten your angel?
Christine: Angel oh speak, what endless longings? Echoing this whisper.

Phantom: Too long you've wandering in winter, far from my fathering gaze.
Christine: Wildly my mind beats against you. 
Phantom: You resist...
Phantom/Christine: Yet/buy your/the soul obeys...



Phantom: Slowly, gently, night unfurls its slendor. Grasp it, sense it - tremulous and tender. Turn your face away from the garish light of day, turn your thoughts away from cold, unfeeling light - and listen to the music of the night!




Source: google.com via Alisha on Pinterest


Christine: But his voice filled my spirit with a strange, sweet sound. In that night there was music in my mind. And through music my soul began to soar! And I heard as I never heard before. 
Raoul: What you heard was a dream and nothing more.
Christine: Yet in his eyes, all the sadness of the world. Those pleading eyes, that both threaten and adore.

Phantom: You have come here, in pursuit of your deepest urge. In pursuit of that wish which till now has been silent... silent. I have brought you, that our passions may fuse and merge. In your mind you've already succumb to me, dropped all defenses - completely succumb to me. Now you are here with me. No second thoughts. You've decided... decided. [...] Past all thought of if or when, no use resisting. Abandon thought and let the dream descend! What raging fire shall flood the soul? What rich desire unlocks its door? What sweet seductions lie before us? Past the point of no return... the final threshold. What warm unspoken secrets will we learn? Beyond the point of no return...





Excuse me while I go and sing my little heart out and cry a few tears.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Leighanna Rose said...

Hi Whitney!
I love your blog and the design!
I'm your newest follower and was wondering if you'd consider following me back?
Thanks!
alexandrea
Shineyourglorydown.blogspot.com