Thursday, November 17, 2011

Which Way Do You Look?

I hope today you will allow me to let free a little rant of mine out into the universe. Would you like to hear? Okay. Let's begin. The way I see this life, there are three directions we can spend our time on earthing looking toward.

The first is an all too common tendency to focus our attentions on the past. We tend to spend too much time of our time consumed there. We may dwell on a past mistake, sin or sorrow. Or, we may revel in a seemingly easier time. We are often guilty of this - we focus on one point we seemed happiest (high school, studying abroad, college, traveling, etc.)

The second is focusing on the here and now. Get ready for the nerd to come out in Whitney. In Star Wars Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back), Yoda teaches Luke Skywalker to become a Jedi. However, Luke's mind is often clouded with thoughts of the future and the fate of his friends. He counsels Luke to keep his focus on the here and now, while being mindful of the future. A Jedi's strength flows through focus on the Force.

The third is focus on our future. This, my friends, is the focus I have let consume my life. Ever since I can remember I have let my thoughts wander there. I spend hours a day thinking, obsessing over what my future will be like. I agonize over choices, thinking only of their long-term effects on my well-being. This has been conscious and it has been done for too long.

I have made a decision to channel my energy and attention on the here and now. I will smell the flowers, keep a gratitude journal, enjoy the small joys in life and take time to thank my Heavenly Father for this life I lead. I take so many things for granted: my job, my body, my living situation, my financial stability, family, friends and the beautiful promise of my future. Instead of worrying about what will unfold in my life or how exactly everything will happen I promise to take more time to enjoy this point in my life.

It will all work out. I have faith in my future. One day I might look back and feel sad that I didn't enjoy each and every day I was given at 23 years old. I don't want to feel like that.

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land. There is no other life but this." - Henry David Thoreau

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore







Photobucket


No comments: