Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I Have This Goal...


To run a half marathon. But not just any half marathon... Disney's Princess Half Marathon in Orlando, Florida. I want to wear a tiara, tutu, all pink and run through the castle with my head held high.

I am not a runner, nor have I ever been. It hurts my joints and I get anxiety. However, I have recently signed up for two 5k's (the Arizona Color Run and Iron Girl) and I want to get more fit and find something that releases good energy.

So... I think I'm going to work toward this goal. The half marathon is in February so I realistically don't think I can do it this year (well, what do you guys think though?), but I want to start training. I need your help. Do you have training tips/tricks or any advice for me?



Photobucket

4 comments:

Gentri said...

Whitney! Are you going to participate in package pals this week?

Michelle said...

My goal is to run a marathon. One day...

Laura Elizabeth said...

My advice is stupid but true "It's all about putting one foot in front of the other". I also used the 'Couch to 5k' program, you can find podcasts and apps to help you with this. I got up to running for an hour without stopping, which is AMAZING!! (And then I stopped and had to start all over again- I'm up to 25 minutes now). For me, it's really hard getting to the 20 minute mark, but once I get there, I can somehow keep going. Best of luck with your running!! That Princess half marathon sounds awesome!!

Nikki said...

Everyone I know seems to be talking about 5ks. So, I decided to give it a try, too. I'm doing the 'couch to 5k' like the comment above. Now, I'm not a runner, 50lbs over weight, and, up until three days ago, a die hard couch potato.

I did my first part of the training Saturday, and talk about a heart attack, but I felt great afterwords. It's really simple, just google "training for a 5k" and the program pops up. The one I'm doing is for 6 months.

It does work though; I did the second run today and it was much easier than the first time. Granted, it's kind of tedious, you want to just get up and run, but this pace makes me not hate running so much.

Plus, I've lost three pounds, with the running, diet overhaul and some pilates.