To begin, I'd like to disclose that I am definitely not a fitness guru. Nor am I claiming to be in super shape by any means at all (though I do try!). I just thought I'd share a few tips that I've realized help me have a better work out. I hope they help you too, but feel free to add any in the comments section! Your tips and example inspire me to do better and get fit!
1. This might sound silly, but the hardest part of working out for me is getting out the door. I am always finding other things to do or getting distracted. I've also realized to NEVER take naps after work, but that's another story. So what do I do? The second I get home I put on my work out clothes. Then I physically arrange everything I need to go (water bottle, shoes, ipod) by the front door so I see it until I go. It's very rare that I get out the door for the gym before 7 p.m. so it's nice to have that little reminder as I work around the house.
2. Don't overeat before. Yeah, it sounds silly and obvious, but this often keeps me from going too. I will eat just a little too much for dinner, or have something too heavy, and then good bye gym! Try eating something light like a salad or whole grain pasta dish so you have energy but aren't feeling awful.
3. Make an AWESOME play list. Music keeps me going. I am constantly buying new songs or asking friends to burn CDs for me that I can work out to. It's honestly all I used my ipod for anyways, so I make sure I have lots of upbeat tunes.
4. Who cares what you look like? One of my biggest pet peeves is girls who get READY to go to the gym. Ew, who do you think you are? Sure, it's nice to wear your new work out gear, but let's get real... are we here to work out or show off? I'm always sporting glasses, big sweats and a tee and my hair in a big ponytail. Functional, practical and logical. Because I'm here to work out!
5. Try exercise classes. Studies show that exercising in groups can be super motivating. I need to get more into this! My goal is to start taking step and spin, maybe even some yoga. It's fun to mix it up.
So, those are just five thoughts off the top of my mind. Do you have any more? I'd love to hear 'em!