Thursday, March 19, 2015

Boy Scouting

I was a bit of a dork in high school. If we're being honest here, I'm a bit of a dork now, but that's not relevant to today's story. 

When I was 16, I loved graphic shirts with sayings on them. You know the ones? For Christmas, I had one that said "Ho, Ho, Ho, Blah, Blah, Blah, Yada, Yada, Yada." I literally have no idea why I thought that shirt was hilarious, but I did. I wore it proudly all December, smiling as people read it, wanting them to understand how funny it was. I'm not sure they ever did.

My favorite shirt of all time was a dark brown with white sparkly letters that said, "BOY SCOUTING." It was my crown jewel and I thought it was perfect. When I found it at Kohl's shopping with my mom, my eyes lit up and I showed it to her with a huge grin on my face. I'm sure she was thinking, "okay weirdo daughter," but her love of seeing me happy outshone the ridiculousness of the shirt and she bought it for me.

I saved the shirt all summer for back to school. I kept it safe in my closet with the tags on until it was time. I was a junior in high school and my 16th birthday was approaching in August. My dream was to wear that hilarious shirt on my 16th birthday because that was when I was FINALLY allowed to date and I was on the prowl. I giggled every time I thought about me strolling the halls of school, wearing my beloved shirt.

The day was everything I imagined and more. I wore my shirt proudly and loved the extra looks and giggles I got during the day. BEST. DAY. EVER. A girl in my Journalism class even asked to take a picture of my shirt for the fashion column. I was on top of the world!!

A few weeks later, the newspaper edition went out to the school. I rifled through the pages, looking for my shirt when there it was in all it's glory: BOY SCOUTING. 

Under it read: What NOT to wear: graphic shirts. 

That bish used my picture for her what not to wear column. I remember reading the paper in Journalism class. When I looked over at her, newspaper in hand and mouth open wide, she just smiled apologetically and shrugged.

It is with great pride that I tell you I still wore that shirt every week until the end of the school year. You gotta be you, folks. 

This is the only picture I could find with me wearing the shirt. Me and my sweet grandpa who is in heaven.
Photobucket

No comments: