Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Getting Older

When I was about 12 years old, all I wanted in the world was to grow up. I don't know why, but I remember thinking that 26 was a magical number. I wanted to get married when I was 26. I wanted to have my Master's degree by then. I wanted to travel abroad and surround myself with beautiful cultures. I would have served a mission by then. I would be the happiest person in the world.

Here I am, 26 years old. I'm not married or even close. I don't have Master's degree. I never studied or traveled abroad extensively. I didn't serve a mission.

You know what? That's okay. 

This road of life has taken me to many different places, none of them where I thought I would be. I'm growing and I'm changing, slowly and painfully - but I like the person I'm becoming. It's as if I'm finding who I was all along.

Getting older isn't easy like I thought it would be. There are so many stumbling blocks, forks in the road and mistakes I've made along the way. Right now I'm feeling like there are so many choices ahead of me, and now is the time for me to be patience, wise and humble so that I make the right ones. 

I feel like this Colbie Caillat song just sums it up perfectly:

Waited all my life for this day to come
Feel like letting go, life goes on
Wasting no more time, so much to be done
Everything works out, so they say

Seems that nothing is black and white anymore
Shades of gray and I feel the weight over my shoulder
It's tough getting older

I always though that I knew where I'd wanna go
But now I'm here and I find that I'm still getting colder
It's kinda tough getting older

Here before my eyes, many roads ahead
Time for me to choose one way now
If I take a chance, what lies down the road?
Feeling so confused, turned around


Photobucket

No comments: