A lot of people ask me how they can become more involved with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and how they can help with our mission. While we are an organization that LOVES donations (heck, we ARE a non-profit...), the real magic we find in our volunteer wishgranters. You may not know this but most of the wish work is accomplished through our volunteers. I recently went through the process to become a wishgranter and my first wish happened yesterday!! It is such a blessing and I can't wait to do it all over again. If you're interested in helping out, just follow these easy steps.
1. Find your local Make-A-Wish chapter. Enter your zip code or city on www.wish.org and the site will direct you to your local chapter. This is the chapter you will need to contact for all "wishy" related questions.
2. Contact the chapter "Volunteer Coordinator." Their information will be on the local chapter site under "Ways to Help." Shoot them an e-mail and they will get you set up with paperwork.
3. Take a Make-A-Wish e-learning course. Your coordinator will let you know if you need to take this course or not, but I highly recommend it! You get to learn the history of our Foundation and just how your help can change lives.
4. Attend orientation. This will take place at your local wish house. It's so fun to visit and see where wishes start coming true! Your coordinator will teach your group the entire wishgranting process in four or so short hours (usually on a weekend). You will learn all about making wishes come true.
5. Sign up for your first wish! Don't worry, you will never be alone! To grant a wish, 2 or 3 volunteers are grouped together and you will be with a more experience wishgranter for your first few wishes. You will be able to choose what team you want to be on, and what child you wish to help. At your initial wish visit YOU will help the child figure out what their one true wish is. What an honor!
I hope this inspires you to help. If you have any questions, just leave a comment or e-mail me. I will be happy to share my experiences with you.