Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Spirit of Christmas

I don't think it's any secret that this year has been really hard on me. I know we each go through trials in our life and it seems like one thing after another. We feel forgotten, lost, depressed and engulfed in our own misery. It seems like nothing goes right and suddenly we can't breathe. We question our beliefs and everything we've ever known and everything seems to spiral out of our control.

This year getting into the Christmas spirit has been harder than ever before for me. I haven't enjoyed the music, the lights, the food, the present shopping or decorating. And I think I know why.

Christmas isn't about presents. It seems cliche to say that but I think it's harder to truly grasp that concept. Christ gave me everything and He has been there for me every step of the way. Though I've felt alone and lost, I think I've reached an epitome today. He has been waiting for me to reach out to Him. Christ is constant. He loves me and He loves you. I can testify of that unblinkingly.

This year I pledge to reach out to others and do more missionary work. Though I chose not to serve a mission and felt it wasn't right for me, I can still spread the light of the gospel each and every day. I have been so blessed to be part of the true church and I hope that everyone I come in contact with can see the love I have for my Savior and His restored gospel.

Now I feel the real spirit of Christmas, giving back :)

No comments: