Thursday, December 30, 2010

Late Night Snuggles

It's been a COLD couple of days. And I mean cold (for Phoenix standards, at least). I have finally been able to wear thick sweaters, if not quite scarf weather yet. Needless to say, poor Ellie is experiencing the coldest time of her short life thus far.

Last night I woke up around 3 p.m. to rain and wind rattling my window. I then turned to see Ellie was bundled in my arms and I was cradling her like a baby in my sleep. She noticed my movement and turned her little head to look right at me. Her back was on the bed, just like a person, with her paws straight in the air. It was one of the most precious things I have ever seen. I rubbed her tummy for a while and kissed her ears.

I never thought I would get this attached to an animal. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, and feel a very special connection to Belle and Pixie. But I never quite understood why mom would get so distressed being away from them on any sort of vacation. Now I know! I think about her throughout the day and worry about her when I'm away. It's so nice to come home to her loveable spirit and sweet kisses. I get more and more attached to her every day. When things were rough financially and emotionally for me when I first adopted her, I often thought about giving her up to a family that could better care for her. I'm so grateful we both stuck through the storm and made it today! I can't imagine my life without her in it and I'm looking forward to many more years of love and snuggling :)

No comments: