Sunday, January 24, 2016

Job Update

If you've read this post, you know that my career path has been quite the journey, and that I have been ready for the next step for some time now. One of the jobs I talked about not getting last year was with the Girl Scouts Arizona Cactus-Pine Council. They chose to hire someone with more direct grant writing experience for a Grant Manager position, which I completely understood. They told me the decision was so hard to make for them, because they really did feel like I had amazing talents and work experience, and that I would be a great fit culturally. I had such a good feeling about their team, mission and work environment that I strangely didn't feel so sad. I did, however, decide to take a hiatus from looking for a new job and to focus on making my current job the best I could. 

A few weeks ago, I got a phone call from their Senior Associate of Fund Development, telling me about a position they had open she felt would be perfect for me. In that instant, I knew this was the job I had been waiting for. Everything made sense - I loved the team, the position utilized all of my talents and past experience, and this was a brand and non-profit organization I was passionate about. They fast tracked the hiring process, brought me in for an interview immediately and offered me the Portfolio Manager position shortly thereafter. I am currently in my last few weeks at Make-A-Wish and it's most certainly bittersweet. I am going to miss the people I work with here, and the home I've known for five years. 

A lot of you have been asking me what I will be doing in my new position. If you don't understand non-profit fundraising, I understand it can be confusing. I will essentially own a "portfolio" of donors, who I will be responsible for cultivating and stewarding. I will also be bringing on new donors through my networking, research and work with the Grant Manager. A lot of what I will be doing will be behind the scenes - pulling reports, analyzing data, researching in order to hit goals and raise for money to help build girls of courage, confidence and character.

This job comes with a raise, flexible schedule and an OFFICE, which I cannot wait to decorate. My new boss is seriously an incredible woman and I cannot wait to grow under her mentorship. I could not be more excited for this opportunity and HUGE step in my career. I'm so grateful to have found the right fit for me and that I am so fortunate enough to do what I am passionate about.


Photobucket

No comments: