Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Finding Happiness

Lately I've been really happy, and I've taken some time to sit and think about what changes I've made recently that have led to this increased happiness.

A few years ago, I shared this "theory" I had about balancing four areas of our lives to find total happiness. Today I want to write down my ideas.

Mental: the mind

This happens to be the area of my life I neglect the most. However, I have made a goal to be better. Lately I've been reading one novel a week. I read mostly historical fiction and history books (nerd alert) so that I'm always learning and expanding my knowledge. It's so hard to keep learning when you're not in school! It may sound silly, but I've also been helping my neighbor with his homework (okay, he's 11 years old), but we practice Spanish together, learn history and practice math and grammar. I find that if I'm striving to learn new things each day, I'm happiest.

Physical: the body

Isn't this just the worst area to work on? I just opted into a "10 pound challenge" with two of my girlfriends and we're on a race to see who can lose 10 pounds first. I like a challenge and I want to lose weight, so I'm excited to try this. I know I'm happiest when I'm eating right, exercising and taking care of my body.

Spiritual: the spirit

I personally believe taking care of your spirit is the most important area you can focus on. The steps I've taken lately to focus on spirituality and my relationship with my Heavenly Father have made all the difference in my life... I honestly feel like a new person. I personally nurture my spirit by reading my scriptures, having heartfelt prayers throughout my day, attending church and church activities, paying my tithing and performing service for others. I know it's different for everyone! Some people nurture their spirit through yoga or meditation; others seek out nature or through artistic expression. If you were to focus most of your energy on one area, I would recommend this one.

Emotional: the heart

Jokingly the other day I told my friend I take care of my emotional health by taking my anti-anxiety medication. We laughed, but I realized it's true! This modern medicine helps level out my emotions and lets me think clearly. A big part of focusing energy on your heart is nurturing the relationships in your life. Spend time with your family and friends and serve them whenever you can. Also, take time to participate in activities that your heart loves. Read a book. Go to a movie. See a play. Visit your happy place (okay, these are all my ideas, but you get the picture).

Anyways, that's just my theory. I've realized that if I'm safely balancing all four areas, I am one happy person. 

I'm grateful for all the blessings I enjoy, including little pieces of knowledge like this. I learning to love getting older and the confidence and joy I feel in my own skin.

Find joy in the journey!

Photobucket

No comments: