Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Grandpa O

My grandpa's name is James Boone Overton.
He passed away on August 22, 2009, the day after I turned 21.

Sometimes I have a really hard time letting go, and this is the first major death I have ever had to deal with. I loved him very much and he meant the world to me.

My grandpa loved me and believed in me. He always talked about me going to England to study. He always asked me about school and how I was doing. I knew he was so proud of me for going to college and completing my education. I know he was there the day I graduated, I felt him so strongly. He asked me about my dating life and he always asked me about Disney.

We shared birthday parties every single year. His birthday was August 18 and mine is the 21. I always loved blowing out the candles with him and sharing that special day. My 21st birthday was the saddest of my life because he was so sick in the hospital. Mom always says he held on an extra day, just so I didn't have that sad stigma on my birthday.

I watched my grandpa pass out of this world and it was the saddest and most remarkable thing I have ever witnessed. I can't even begin to explain how strong the Spirit was that day or those final moments. As he took his last few breaths I felt such a strong sense of calm and peace.

So why is he on my mind lately? It has been over a year and we are just starting his temple work. I am so grateful for the restored gospel on the earth today and the knowledge I have that families can be together forever.



I love you grandpa. I promise to think of you every day. I promise to live my life in a way that would make you happy. I know you would want me to chase my dreams, marry a great man and live my life to the fullest. I will save a spot for you at my wedding and tell my kids how wonderful you were to everyone who met you. You were so warm, friendly and engaging.

xoxo.

No comments: