Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Year of Bravery


As 2010 draws to a close, I think this is the perfect time to sit and reflect upon this last year. If I had to choose an overall theme for 2010, I would name it: the Year of Bravery.

At the beginning of this year, I was adjusting to life as a new college graduate. For two months I applied for jobs and even had several interviews. Interviewing for those jobs was very brave and I learned so much about interview skills, how to build my portfolio and what to do during those tough questions. Failure after failure happened and I promised myself if the next interview didn't work out I would go to Florida for a month. It didn't and I did.

Upon my return, I was offered a job with Hilton. I accepted right away. This was brave. I even found an apartment in a part of town I was unfamiliar with and moved in with two girls I didn't know, to an entirely new ward. This was brave as well.

Soon I adopted a puppy, against my better judgement and my parent's wishes :) I had to face some of the hardest times financially and emotionally through her adoption. My bravery has turned out to be such a valuable learning experience and has given me the greatest companion I could have hoped for.

At work I tried new things, met new people and broke out of my bubble. I was fun, outgoing and seemingly fearless.

In the Fall I signed up on an online dating website thanks to some valuable advice:) That was brave too-- probably the bravest thing I did all year. Though it wasn't exactly what I expected, I can't even begin to explain how much I've learned about myself and what I'm looking for.

I've faced the unknown in 2011. I've faced trials, great happiness, personal pitfalls and surprises all along the way. I'm grateful for the courage Heavenly Father has given me. I'm thankful for friends, support and the huge strides I've taken in one year. I'm that much closer to becoming the person I was meant to be. I'm closer to preparing to be a wife and mother. But, most importantly, I'm closer to my Heavenly Father.

Happy (almost) 2011! I'm convinced it's going to be an amazing year.

No comments: